Firearms Application & Registration System
Step 2: You must use this ORI# NJ0181400 (you WILL NOT be able to complete the FARS online application without the proper ORI#)
Step 3: Complete the online application. You may complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. Make sure the name you use matches your NJ Driver License. When completing the application, you will need the email addresses of 2 reputable references.
Step 4: When your application is complete, we will give you a call. There is a $5 fee for the initial firearms ID card and a $2 fee for each handgun permit. Payment must be in cash, please bring exact change.
If you have not resided in New Jersey for the last 10 years, you MUST complete an additional Mental Health form to be dropped off at this office. The form can be located here.
- *You will receive automatic email updates throughout this new process.
- *Please advise your references that the Firearms Application and Registration System will email questions to your references that must be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to progress your background investigation.
- *The online application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have the best phone number and email address for yourself and your references.
- *Your Social Security Number is REQUIRED on the online application.
- *First time applicants will need to be fingerprinted. The FARS system will generate the form for you.
If you have any further questions please visit the NJ State Police Firearms website at: njsp.org/firearms/